Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Snowmobile Trail Riding

4 days after 20 inches of snow.  Didn't know what to expect. The snow machines do a great job of packing the trail, but it was still soft.  I found out how important low pressure is to traction in this stuff.  I found out about half way in to the ride, probably around 1 hour and 15 minutes.  I guess I'm a slow learner or maybe just scared to run such low pressure since my mechanical mishap 2 weeks ago with the chain breaking.  Running from Fort Snelling to Cedar Ave in Eagan can make a person re-think any risky bike set-up and I chose to run on the safe side with tire pressure.  At the half way point of our out and back ride I lowered the pressure to what seemed soft but still firmer than most.  It made a world of difference only that I had cooked myself on the first part using tremendous effort to maintain forward momentum.  It was much easier on the way back with low pressure to keep the bike moving in the right direction and to pedal with a somewhat normal cadence, but I was cross-eyed and cooked.  One of the hardest rides I can think of in a long time.  Hard to believe that many years ago we were doing this ride weekly on 2 inch tires.

0 comments:

Post a Comment