Saturday, September 29, 2012

Good Ride and Close Call

Had a great ride out of Rosemount Starbucks today. Temperature and wind were ideal. Got in 100 miles. A bit of a scary encounter though. The group of us (14) riding along in nowhereville on roads with no shoulder but very little traffic. I had noticed on the side of the road instead of the typical rock debris that there was corn. That makes sense with fall harvesting that there would be plenty of corn falling out of the trucks. I also noticed with the minimal traffic we were getting that a high proportion of the traffic was these large semi-trucks hauling corn. Coming up the hill towards us was one of these large trucks full of corn, as it was nearing us I noticed a car pull out from behind it as the car was going to make a pass. One problem though we were a large group spread two maybe three abreast and this car was now going to be in our lane to make the pass. Just as the car was beginning to come out from behind the truck I saw black smoke which I was assuming was the tires. In a split second I'm thinking is this guy going to make the pass in time?, is this car out of control because of a blown tire?, do I need to jump into the ditch right now taking out the rider next to me? At the last minute the car pulled back into the lane behind the semi. In the frenzy one rider locked the brakes and went over the bars in a somewhat uneventful manner, another rider went into the ditch successfully, and the rest maintained position bringing it to a controlled stop. Upon inspection the black smoke was the skid marks the car left. I'm assuming it was deceleration, but it was a Black Porsche so it could have been acceleration?

0 comments:

Post a Comment