Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Every Cross Bike Should Have One

If you have experienced front wheel chatter on your cross bike you will be able to appreciate this photo.  Erik Noreen of Peacock Groove has fabricated one of the coolest most functional cross bike necessities I have seen.  I got lucky on my first two cross bikes and did not have a problem with wheel chatter.  The first bike had a steel fork with a headset mounted cable stop.  My second bike had an Alpha Q carbon with a headset mounted cable stop.  Neither had a problem.  My third bike had this problem with wheel shudder and it only appeared at the precise moment when you didn't need to deal with an out of control front wheel.  I was surprised that this was happening on an updated (supposedly better) Alpha Q fork.  Again the same type of headset mounted cable stop.  I tried numerous experiments to rid myself of this problem.  I won't detail the number of brakes, different headsets, numerous brake pads or the stem that was drilled out to create a cable housing stop.  Some of these experiments helped a bit but none got rid of the problem entirely. Until I replaced the fork with a cheap carbon fork that has a hole in the fork crown where a cable stop can be mounted.  Some manufacturers have adopted this style of fork which is a necessity in my opinion.  Erik's approach on his Peacock Groove is stylish and critical all at the same time.  Nice work Erik.  Whoa hold the bus.  How'd I miss the down tube cable stop.  Another huge deal if your looking for some versatility.  Photo credit goes to Jeff at Bike Jerks.

0 comments:

Post a Comment